Subject is specified for students interested in acoustics. It assumes some basic knowledge of this subject that could be gained in Introduction to Acoustics.
Studets will measure 6 tasks, the first 5 of them should be resumed by written report.
Last update: Thursday, 18 October 2018.
- Sound power measurements
- How to measure sound power? How we can use anechoic room and reverberation room for sound power measurements? Calculate sound power radiated by fan.
- File power2018.txt contains table of measured sound pressures for selected 1/3 oct. band bands in all measurement points (40); the first column contains central frequencies of 1/3oct. bands, the 22nd and last columns containe bacground noise levels, the rest of columns contains corresponding squares of sound pressure. Text containing guidelines for background noise correction and microphone positions for measurement of sound presure levels.
- Vibration measurement
- Discuss the possible methods of vibration measurements. Which quantities can be measured? How the transducer influences the measured structure? Which method of analysis could be used for signal processsing (time x frequency domain)?
- Measurement of transmission loss
- Using PULSE system measure transmission loss of the gate between the laboratory and corridor. What is the definition of the TL? What is the influence of transmitting and receiving rooms acoustics? Calculate weighted TL.
- Description of gauge line for single value transmission loss:
- 100 Hz – 36 dB
- 400 Hz – 54 dB (3 dB between adjacent bands)
- 1250 Hz – 59 dB (1 dB between adjacent bands)
- 3150 Hz – 59 dB
- Resulting single value (weighted) transmission loss corresponds to value on gauge line for frequency 500 Hz. Sum of negative deviations from the gauge line must be 32 dB. The gauge line should be shifted by 1 dB up or down.
- Measurement in acoustic interferometer
- For selected samples measure absorption coefficient and impedance with respect to frequency using acoustic interferometer (Kundt's tube). Discuss limitations for using this method and influence of loading signal level.
- Some formulas for interferometer measurements
- Measurement parameters: sampling frequency fs=8000 Hz, pseudorandom sequence with length of 2^(11), FFT of 2048 points. Results are in 1024 rows corresponding to one half of sampling frequency. Each file contains nine columns: real part of reflection coefficient (R), imaginary part of R, modulus of R, phase of R, next four columns are in the same order for impedance (Z) and the last column is absorption coefficient.
- Measurement of acoustic parameters of loudspeaker box
- Measurement with head and torso simulator
- Using head simulator measure frequency characteristics of headphones. How to evaluate sensitivity? Analyze behaviour of the sound system chain and listening space. Try to equalize and optimize sound system.